Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Farming Again


So in my last couple of posts I think I failed to mention that my farming work has begun again for the season. I work on a small (2 working acres) organic vegetable farm. There are goats and chickens that live there and run around too, but not for the purposes of the people that buy produce for the farm. This is my 3rd year working up the road and around a couple bends where the farm and it's people live. The first week was difficult getting back into the rythm after so many months of doing less activity. This season I haven't had as much of a roll in doing the seed planting which involves mixing compost, organizing seeds, making seed blocks and squinting as hard as the eyes can to see the small lettuce dots that litter ones hands. I have been doing a lot of transplanting the past two weeks. The first large project being getting all of the onions and shallots in, which when it was all said and done consisted of well over a thousand plants.
     I've also been working on planting lettuces and cabbage, potatoes, broccoli, squash and tomorrow a bunch more of the leafy types. Today we worked on potting up tomatoes and eggplants in the green house, placing the 2 inch seed blocks into wider and deeper pots. So now they can expand themselves, loosen their belts and drink up. It will help their figures.
    It was raining hard this morning and last night so we kept our work confined to the brightly lit hoop house. It always impresses me how dark our homes are when you are standing in a greenhouse and the sun is nowhere to be seen outside, but under the plastic material you're transported to a warmer and brighter land. Granted all of the plants are smaller than normal, and you dwarf everything around you...Tiny seedlings are very humbling.

1 comment:

  1. No Farmers...no Food! Thanks for growing our food....

    ReplyDelete