Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Boc Choy, Books, and Beaches

I have been reading Eco Geography by Andreas Suchankte. I finally made it through the introduction, slightly scathed by some intellectual late night reading, and happy to move on to the true meat of the book! It is a good book on perspective, using your creativity and imagination when looking at the world and the human mind. Some of it is based on Rudolf Steiner's writings and on anthroposphy. It is very thought provoking which I like!

This photograph is from Memorial day when I went with my family to the beach. I'm not sure whose feet those are but I know the small ones are of a gull, probably a lot of sea gulls. It was a pretty overcast day to start but the sun broke through and I managed to get myself into a suit and into the water for about ten seconds. Of course the proclamations of people who were out in it (the three people in the water mind you) were wafting across the water to the tune of "It's really not that bad once you get in" but I knew how bad it would be! There is no fooling when it comes to the temperature of water anymore, there is no kidding you into it after about the first time your toes hit the water when your a year old, and the frigid winter water bites your toes. This sensation is not forgotten, so don't try to fool us!

Today on the farm I harvested peas and squash and broccolli, weeded in several areas and planted five varieties of lettuce (romaine, black seeded simpson, red sails, green oak leaf, and another green lettuce!) and turnips. We also worked in the greenhouse planting some beets. pac choi and scallions. I found out today that the reason there is a spelling difference between "Pac Choi" and "Bok Choi" is that the B spelling is Chinese and more commonly used here in the states and that the P spelling is Taiwanese. I did however just find this article that better describes the misunderstandings of why this vegetable has held all of these names: Bok choy, bok choi, pak choi, pak choy

So hopefully this has been an enjoyable post about books, beaches and Bok Choy!

No comments:

Post a Comment