Saturday, March 27, 2010

New Name! Welcome to the new Brown Boot Salvage.


Hey folks, as you may notice, if you haven't checked back in a few days I've got a brand new URL and and a new name! As part of my Indie business class, I am taking one of the first steps toward creating more of the life I want to have, which also includes having an independently run craft business, as one of my many disciplines! I feel that "yawantapeanut" must go as I enjoy eating peanuts, but it doesn't stand for who I am, or really anything to do with what I'm interested in. A humbling admission. So, I really hope that I'll still have the same readership, so bookmark my new URL http://brownbootsalvage.blogspot.com and tell your friends!
The word Salvage to me means a lot of things. It first recalls memories of going to the salvage yard with my father as a young girl and holding wrenches and tools while he took off car parts to help repair our old vehicles. We would go hunting for treasures at the dump, and I was the kid who would rescue baseball hats, shirts, and pennies from muddy parking lots, and wear them proudly as my free finds. I was the kid who got feathers from roadside red tailed hawks that had been killed, books from the swap shop at the dump, and made friends with a hammer and a nail and scrap pieces of wood that I would play with for hours.
He has taught me to be a recycler, a dumpster diver, and a roadside searcher. And not in the popular sense of the word. It was just something that we did. It wasn't a movement or a cause, but a way of looking at and just living life. My grandparents are this way, my mother is this way. This mentality has taught me to be a re-user, a maker of things, and a curious human.
But to me it is not just "reduce reuse recycle" it is about recreating the social structure of what we consume and what we deem as useful and un useful in our everyday throwaway society. Salvaging the old fashioned systems of "using what you have" or "work with what you've got" the way of being that has been for so so long until the past couple of centuries. We need to salvage our wounded soil and bring back a thriving food system, (thats where "Brown Boot" comes into play here) and we need innovators who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty, be creative, be curious, and to thrive!
So I guess my new goals with this blog are along the lines of sharing more of my interests in agriculture, in thrifting, in re using, in making things, on how to be self reliant, and my craft projects. I believe that there is craft in the everyday, in baking bread, in playing music, in fixing a tractor, in building a house, in knitting a sweater. I would love to have some guest writers, to share my music with you, and to share the everyday craft of life, and those around me. And I hope to give images and words of inspiration. Thanks for reading.-
Emma

3 comments:

  1. Love Love Love the new name Emma! I am so happy you are going to share all that brown boot wisdom with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and it reminds me of the song on your CD..We Will Clamor...up to the sky where the building fall...down to the ground....and the big stomping boots in the background! Boots....stomp 'em lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, emma. i was wanting to include you in my Featured Friends Friday post this week. im posting fellow indie girls widgets on there and wondered if you have created one so i can include you?

    ReplyDelete