Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Weekend shots, Science Center, Indian Food, Vintage goods, and the Handmade

A dinnertime shot. Fresh papadum bread from my new favorite indian grocery store. I just learned how to make it by roasting it over thte open flame on the gas stove. Also a tomato, lentil dish from the book "Six Spices, a simple appraoch to Indian cookin.". This picture was before the pile of Fresh Cilantro was added!
I managed to find myself at the CT Science center over the weekend, going on a glowing reccomendation from a friend. Here are some shots from a few of the floors filled with interactive exhibits. This is a vortex of water that you can drop a ball into and watch it get sucked out the bottom. There is an entire room full of waterplay on the first level.
You can make flying objects, watch the magnet train, race handmade cars, change the flow of the river, watch how solar energy works. It was a really good time, and there is also a beautiful view of the city, the CT river and the huge ice chunks that are floating down it this time of year.
Charlie parker, always a good person to quote, especially when it comes to music. This applys to life in general though as well I think.
This amazing instrument sculpture with instruments from all over the world, there were books with descriptions of the their origins and history. So beautiful.

This was one of my favorite interactive things in the "soundlab" its a screen that reacts to your movement with color. I've had a long history of dance in my life, so this sort of imagery comes easily to me. It also reacts to the force of your movement depending on how fast or slow you go. My very first dance teacher at age 4 taught us to dance the colors of our emotions...
A snowy outside which isn't quite visible but this vintage strawberry jam jar that I got at one of the fall flea markets certinly is! I love it's bright redness!
And some beautiful white mittens that my mother knit for me as a Christmas gift. There is nothing that beats a beautiful pair of hand knit anythings. Thanks for keeping my hands warm mama.

1 comment:

  1. You are most welcome dear daughter! Dance & Music...it's what you pours out of you....movement....

    ReplyDelete